Minnesota Miniature Horse Club
Amended July 2014
Article I – NAME
1. The name of this organization shall be the Minnesota Miniature Horse Club, Inc. The club was organized in October 1986 in Rochester, Minnesota.
Article II – PURPOSE
1. To develop and promote the American Miniature Horse.
2. To develop and promote good fellowship among Miniature horse and other horse people.
3. To encourage breeding, training and exhibition of good quality stock.
4. To cooperate with the American Miniature Horse breed Associations and Registries.
Article III – MEMBERS
1. Membership in this organization may be for an individual, associate or family group. The family may consist of adults, guardians or children living in the same household. Any individual member of such a family group may become an individual member of the club upon payment of the annual dues.
2. Junior membership is open to anyone 17 years of age or younger.
3. Membership in MMHC is a privilege, not a right. Members agree to abide by its rules and regulations. Membership or application, therefore, may be terminated or refused by the Board of Directors for cause detrimental to the interest of the MMHC, its programs, policies, objectives and harmonious relationship to its members as determined by the Board of Directors. No person shall engage in any act adversely affecting the purpose, objectives, or good name of the Minnesota Miniature Horse Club. Any such person involved in such adverse action may be subject to disciplinary action determined by the Board Of Directors.
Article IV – DUES
1. The annual dues shall be $30.00 per membership.
2. The annual membership shall start January 1st, annually.
3. A new member joining after October 1st will be a fully paid member through December 31st of the following year.
4. The junior membership annual fee shall be $10.00.
Article V – VOTING
1. A member shall have a vote at meetings when dues are paid as of the current year.
2. A family membership entitles two (2) votes. A single membership entitles one (1) vote. Minimum age 18.
3. Junior members shall have all membership rights except the right to vote.
4. Membership meetings must have a minimum of eight (8) members, of which two (2) must be board members, in order to conduct voting business. Board meetings must have a minimum of four (4) in attendance to conduct voting business.
Article VI – MEETINGS
1. This organization shall have a minimum of four (4) membership meetings per year with places and dates to be determined by the Board of Directors.
2. The annual meeting shall be held in the month of January each year.
3. Board of Directors meetings may be held as the President and the Board of Directors sees fit, times and places to be mutually agreed upon.
4. Special meetings may be called by the president, a majority of the Board of Directors, or by written request of five (5) members of the organization.
5. All members are to be notified by mail in advance of any and all meetings.
6. All members may have a voice and participate at all meetings.
Article VII – Communication
1. The organization will produce a newsletter for all members quarterly.
2. The club will provide a website. Show, futurity, incentives, and other pertinent information will be published on web site. The website will also provide member benefits accessible by password.
Article VIII – OFFICERS
1. The elective officers of this organization shall be the president, vice president, secretary and treasurer.
2. There shall be a Board of Directors consisting of seven members: president, vice president, immediate past president, secretary, treasurer and two (2) other members elected from the regular membership.
2A. In the event that a board member wishes to resign at or near election
time, that position will be open for nominations.
3. All newly elected officers of the organization shall be sworn in and take office just prior to adjournment of the Annual Meeting and serve for one (1) full club year. The existing treasurer is to transfer a complete set of audited books to the incoming treasurer at the Annual Meeting. Any transactions that occur after December 31st will be the responsibility of the newly elected treasurer.
4. Directors shall be elected for a term of two (2) full years. The first year, one director shall be elected for a period of two (2) years and one (1) director shall be elected for one (1) year. Each succeeding year one (1) director shall be elected for a two (2) year term.
5. Any officer or director missing two or more meetings in a year without excuse of the President will be reviewed at that 2nd meeting. The Secretary will draft a letter with the President’s approval to be sent immediately to the subject person with both the Secretary’s signature and the President’s signature. At the next meeting, the Board of Directors will set the course of action.
Article IX – DUTIES OF OFFICERS
1. The general supervision and direction of affairs of the organization shall be vested in the Board of Directors and they shall audit the bills against the organization and may fill any vacancies which may occur among the offices between annual meetings; and carry on all business and other activities of the organization subject to the general membership knowledge and approval. The Board of Directors may approve and carry out general club business with a limit of $250.00 per item.
2. The President shall preside at all meetings of the membership and all the meetings of the Board of Directors and will perform all duties incident of this office. The President shall have the power to appoint such committees as may be deemed necessary for the advancement of the club. The Board of Directors may approve and carry out general club business with a limit of $250.00 per item.
3. The Vice President shall act for the President in their absence. The Vice President is to also be ready and assist the President as requested when possible.
4. The Secretary shall keep the minutes of all meetings of the club and also the minutes of the meetings of the Board of Directors. At the subsequent meeting of either the Board or membership, report the activities and proceedings (the membership is to be kept fully informed). (Ref: Article XIII)
5. The treasurer shall keep a current and accurate ledger. All moneys shall be deposited in the Minnesota Miniature Horse Club checking account within thirty (30) days of receipt. The treasurer will provide a current month by month accounting of all income and expenses, to include banking information. The treasurer and one other approved board member will have authorized signatures at the bank.
Article X – ELECTIONS
1. At each annual meeting all officers and one (1) director shall be elected.
2. Prior to the annual meeting, the President shall appoint a Nominating Committee. At least one name must be nominated as candidate for each office. Nominations may also be made from the floor by the general membership. Anyone nominated to office must be a paid member for six (6) months and in good standing with MMHC.
3. All voting for officers for the organization shall be done by secret ballot with a majority of votes required to elect. Voting will be done for one office at a time starting with President, then Vice President, then Secretary, then Treasurer, then director. The President of the club must be qualified as defined by having served faithfully on the MMHC board of Directors within the last 4 years, or be approved by 2/3 vote of the board of Directors.
Article XI – AMENDMENTS
1. These bylaws may be altered and amended at any meeting of the organization by a vote of two-thirds (2/3) of the membership present at such meeting provided that the proposed amendment has been presented in writing and read by the Secretary at a previous meeting and that all members receive notice of the proposed amendment in writing in advance of the said meeting. Bylaw amendments will only be brought to the floor once per year unless expressly approved by the Board.
Article XII – PROXIES
1. At all meetings associated in any way with this organization, no proxy votes will be allowed nor any absentee ballots.
Article XIII – ORGANIZATION
1. The President, in their absence, the Vice President, and in their absence, a member of the Board of Directors shall act as chairperson of the meeting. The Secretary shall act as Secretary at all meetings of the organization but in the absence of the Secretary, the presiding officer or chairperson will appoint any member to act in that capacity.
Article XIV – SALARIES
1. There shall be no salaries for any member or officer of this organization.
Article XV – IDENTIFICATION
1. he official logo for the club shall consist of a blocked outline of the state of Minnesota with an outlined horse head inside the upper left hand corner, the white letters “MMHC” shall be centered within the dark block at the bottom and the wording “Minnesota Miniature Horse Club” will be printed above the state outline. The bottom and left hand side and upper right hand will form the block and be dark.
2.Club colors will be the same as the state colors which are blue and white.
Article XVI– OPERATIONAL TERM
1. The period of the duration of this organization is perpetual. Upon dissolution or liquidation, whether voluntary or involuntary, the net assets of this organization shall be distributed to a charitable or nonprofit organization, to be decided upon by the Board of Directors.